We are all aware of the global advances in the field of Genetics. The complete decoding of the structure and function of the human genome is
a reality. Genetics is gradually becoming an open guide to decipher many common health problems, that have a genetic basis.
Athens Medical Group, through its specialized partners offers a complete line of services in a number of fields:
- Genetic Counceling
- Whole Exome Sequencing
- Reproductive Genetics
- Non Invasive Prenatal Screening (NIPT)
- Cancer Genetics
- Hematological Diseases
- Cardiogenetic Diseases
- Neurogenetic Diseases
- Skeletal Dysplasias
- Preventive Genetics
Sequence analysis of all known human genes (whole exome sequencing - WES), through Next Generation Sequencing technologies (NGS) is theoretically in a position to uncover the molecular basis for any genetic disorder in an affected individual, which has not been diagnosed by other available conventional genetic testing options.
Genetic counseling is a health service that provides information and advice to patients and their families, at risk of a hereditary genetic disorder. It is also useful to couples and prospective parents who seek more information on how to have healthy children.
Whom is it for
Genetics is highly recommended for people or couples facing one or more of the following conditions:
- Fertility problems or recurrent miscarriages
- Prospective parents interested in screening for the most common hereditary genetic diseases, like Thalassemia and Cystic fibrosis
- Family history of a genetic disease, chromosomal or congenital abnormality
- People with a positive genetic test for single gene disorders, abnormal karyotype or complex genetic conditions
- People with a family history of hereditary cancer syndrome